Homemade Dress Form
In my quest to be more creative –and frugal – I’ve started to make my own clothes. I quickly realised I would need a dress form but they were far too expensive and anyway I discovered that you can make your own dress form AND it will be a custom fit for your body! Here is how I made mine:
You will need:
- Duct tape
- Old T Shirt
- Cling film
- Stuffing – newspaper or rags
- A helper
- Wear an old t-shirt.
- Wrap cling film (saran wrap) around your neck and upper arms to protect yourself from the tape.
- Begin the TAPIFICATION.
- You are going to need patience and a helper.
- Start by taping across your waist then around the bust area to reinforce it.
- When you are finished have your helper cut carefully up the back of the t-shirt then remove carefully remove the cast.
- Reinforce the bust so that it keeps its shape. I used some batting and newspaper then taped them down.
- I added a clothes hanger and taped it in place.
- I closed the dress form up again with more duct tape along the back.
- Stuff with stuffing – I used newspaper.
- I sealed the armholes with tape then stuffed them- make sure its tight then did the same for the base.
- Spend some time making sure the stuffing is even and your body is not lopsided.
- Seal the neck with tape.
- Smooth over the form with tape if you want neatness 🙂
- Use as you want 🙂 then you can store it in a clothes cupboard easily or hang it on your clothes line like I did 🙂